Location: Energetik, Novoorsk District, Orenburg Oblast
Installed power generation capacity: 2,444 MW
Nominal heat output: 121 Gcal/h
Main fuel: natural gas
Backup fuel: fuel oil
Start of operation: November 7, 1970
Director: Sergey Aleksandrovich Mitin
Governmental resolution to build Iriklinskaya TPP was adopted on June 8, 1962. The first 300 MW power generation unit was launched in November, 1970. The second power generation unit was launched in December of that same year. After the remaining four units were launched between 1971 and 1974, the first 1800 MW stage of Iriklinskaya TPP was fully commissioned in 1975. Unit 7 was launched in December 1978, and on November 17, 1979, TPP expansion program was completed with the launch of Unit 8.
Iriklinskaya TPP is the most powerful electric power plant in South Urals. It has 24 divisions including 8 units rated at 300 MW each, and a 30 MW hydro plant.
The Hydro plant located 20 km away from the TPP was built in 1956 together with Iriklinskoye Reservoir for for flood control of Ural River. Electricity from Iriklinskaya TPP is used in Orenburg Oblast, Chelyabinsk Oblast and Republic of Bashkortostan. Some electricity is also exported to Kazakhstan.
Orenburg Oblast is a part of Volga Federal District and Ural Economic Region. It has a population over 2 million. Fuel, chemical, petrochemical and food industries are the largest contributors to oblast economy. Orenburg Oblast has several large oil and gas fields and ore deposits, and metallurgy represents 30% of the regional industrial production. Many enterprises in these industries are the largest employers in their cities. Despite continental climate, Orenburg Oblast has well-developed agricultural industry.